Friday, May 23, 2008

A Incomprehensible Tragedy

Sometimes, I just don't understand things. We read in Roman 8:28 that "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Well, Steven Curtis Chapman has given his life "For the Sake of the Call" for many years and is now facing the most extreme devistation that one could face... the death of a child. His teenage son accidentally ran over his youngest daughter, 5 yr. old Maria, in the driveway while she was playing.

My heart was torn just hearing of the incident. I just don't see the good in a situation like this. After teaching a study on the Sovereignty of God, I still cannot totally grasp why God allows evil, pain, and suffering? Am I just weak? Or just blind.

However, this I do understand... there is a high price tag for a loving relationship with the Creator of the universe. Freedom costs. God gave us the opportunity to freely love or reject Him, knowing that our freedom would result in pain. Jesus is the only remedy for that pain and for a restored relationship... for the hope of eternal life.

So, even in the sight of evil, pain, and suffering, I have to ask myself, do I believe God at His Word? Do I trust, that even in despair, that He will make all this wrong right? Where is my faith? I must understand that I have trusted in Him and on Him, despite my understanding. I pray that the Chapman family can walk through this trial in confidence, knowing that tomorrow will bring peace, hope, and understanding.

Prayers with the Chapman's!

No comments: